phone: 212 390 9022 email: email@example.com< Back to People
Joshua Margolin is a seasoned litigator with experience in a wide array of complex commercial and financial disputes, who has been named a “Rising Star” by New York Metro Super Lawyers.
Joshua has litigated, arbitrated, and mediated matters involving complex financial products, securities fraud, corporate governance, mergers, natural resources, real estate, insurance, contracts, and employment. He has successfully argued before both trial and appellate courts, and has extensive experience achieving favorable results through mediation.
Examples of Joshua’s experience include:
- AIG v Bank of America, N.A.: Represented AIG in multi-billion dollar claims against Wall Street sponsors of residential mortgage-backed securities, achieving public settlement of Bank of America suit for $650 million and successful confidential resolutions of additional claims. See “Bank of America to Pay $650 Million to AIG in Mortgage Disputes,” Wall Street Journal, 7/16/2014.
- Davis v. Scottish Re: Represented MassMutual in corporate governance suit arising out of its investment in Scottish Re, twice achieving dismissal of all claims with both rulings successfully upheld on appeal.
- U.S. Bank v. Merrill Lynch Mortgage Lending Inc.: Representing U.S. Bank as trustee and investors in seeking recovery for Merrill Lynch’s breaches of representations and warranties.
- ResCap bankruptcy litigation: Represented the Rescap bankruptcy trust in suits against dozens of loan originators for indemnity and breaches of contract, achieving settlements to date of $590 million.
- Ambac Military Housing Litigation: Represented Ambac in seven lawsuits pending across the country arising from Ambac’s provision of financial guaranty insurance to various military housing projects.
- Gasoline quality dispute: Represented gasoline refiner in connection with claims asserted by national gasoline retailer that gasoline was of substandard quality, achieving favorable settlement through mediation.
Joshua’s public interest practice includes representing Vote Solar before the State of Utah Public Service Commission to determine the value of solar energy in the state’s net metering program and litigation against Rocky Mountain Power in its attempt to end net metering in Utah. He is also a member of the Junior Counsel Steering Committee for the American Museum of Natural History.
Joshua earned his J.D. from New York University School of Law, where he was on the Dean’s List. He clerked for Chancellor William B. Chandler and Vice-Chancellor John W. Noble of the Delaware Court of Chancery.
New York University School of Law
(B.A., International Relations, 2001)
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
Of Counsel, 2015-2018
Weil Gotshal & Manges
Law Clerk to Chancellor William B. Chandler and Vice-Chancellor John W. Noble
Delaware Court of Chancery, 2004-2005
Outside Director Liability Under Federal Law: An Update 18 Months Following Enron and WorldCom Settlements, Business & Securities Litigator, July/August 2006 (co-author)
State Bar of New York
United States District Court: Southern District of New York